The A847 steel specification takes the A500 standards a step further with the addition of atmospheric corrosion resistance.
Bull Moose rises to the challenge with our Weathering Grade product line. Like our A500 entries, it’s cold-formed high-strength/low-alloy steel. But over time, this product develops a permanent, stable, light-brown patina that protects it from corrosion and eliminates the need for painting and re-painting.
Available in square and rectangular forms, A847 steel is an ideal, cost-effective choice for walkways, bridges, railings, and other structures that are directly exposed to the elements.
Weathering Grade Product Details
- Our Weathering Grade steel tube is produced per ASTM A847, which mirrors ASTM A500 (plus atmospheric-corrosion-resistant steel).
- 50 KSI min. yield, 70 KSI min. tensile, 19% min. elongation
- General applications: bridges, pedestrian walkways, utility/light poles.
- Normally in stock:
- If you require a custom size, please inquire about lead time.
- The typical initial cost savings equal about 10-15%. This product avoids the expense of painting… resulting in savings of at least 30% over the structure’s lifetime.
- The weathered finish provides a natural look for outdoor environments and doesn’t require either VOC paint or blasting—both of which can be harmful to the environment.
Weathering Grade Steel Tube from Bull Moose: The Low-Cost, Maintenance-Free Alternative for Outdoor Applications.
With the rising cost of galvanized steel, it’s good to know there’s a solid substitute: Weathering Grade steel tube from Bull Moose.
Compare this stock to COR-TEN® and other ASTM A847 options, and you’ll find that our Weathering Grade steel delivers equivalent performance for heavy weather environments…at a much lower cost.
Over time, the surface of this alloy steel develops a stable, light-brown patina that protects it from corrosion—and eliminates the need for painting and re-painting. Its durability and 50ksi strength make it ideal for applications such as walkways, bridges, railings, and other structures that are directly exposed to the elements.
The steel’s weathered finish provides a natural look, and because it’s permanent, it doesn’t require VOC paint or blasting—both of which can harm the environment.
HSS WITH WEATHERING STEEL
• Produced per ASTM A847 (which mirrors ASTM A500, but adds atmospheric-corrosion-resistance).
• 50ksi min. yield, 70ksi min. tensile, 19% min. elongation.
• General application: bridges, utility/light poles.
• Stock sizes:
(Custom sizes: inquire on lead time)
• Lifetime savings…thanks to:
- NO sand blasting
- NO painting
- NO maintenance
Leading the Herd
Founded in 1962, Bull Moose Tube has been delivering products of enduring quality for more than half a century.
Their mechanical stock includes squares ranging from .5 to 3 inches, rectangles from 1x1.5 to 2x3 — in a broad assortment of gauges. For projects requiring heavy-duty structural pipe, Bull Moose provides diameters of .5 to 4 inches, in all standard schedules.
With eight North American manufacturing and warehouse facilities, Bull Moose has the products you need, when you need them.
You need strength and reliability. You need availability. You need Bull Moose Tube.
EIGHT WORLD-CLASS LOCATIONS DELIVERING BEST-IN-CLASS PRODUCTS